Friday, May 1, 2009

Spokesperson for Marriage

I have to say, at first I was impressed with Miss USA's answer to the question, "Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit, why or why not?"

She stumbled a bit at the start, saying, "In my country," and then went on with the rest of her answer, saying that she feels marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Here's what bothers me. First, I don't need a beautiful, skinny woman prancing around the stage in a bikini, covering very little of her surgically enhanced body to be my spokesperson. There are plenty of wholesome, fully clothed women who would do just fine.

Second, I don't think she should be praised and honored for speaking the truth, even in a difficult setting. When did that become such a rarity that we are impressed?

Third, she didn't answer the question very well. She didn't address states' rights, as she was asked. She only answered the question from the perspective of her personal opinion. She would have been more precise to speak to the right of each state to decide that question for itself. Even if she had then given her personal opinion, she may have not been marked down.

To say that judges who marked her down for her answer did so because she is against same-sex marriage is not a fair assessment. I believe I would have marked her down because she stumbled in her answer, and because she did not answer the question in the most accurate way.

I saw Miss North Carolina/Miss USA on Fox News. She says she would have answered the question, "All states have elected officials, and they all have the right to make their own laws, as they see fit, that best represent their state's population. And on a personal standpoint, ..." She goes on to spew say that Americans have the right to choose their partner, and that they should have the same opportunities to legal unions.

I completely disagree with her opinion. COMPLETELY. But I would not have marked her down for her answer. She spoke about states' rights, and then gave her opinion. Her answer would have been a complete, concise answer.

I believe marriage is an institution created by God for the purpose of glorifying God in procreation, and is a picture of the relationship between the Church and God. I believe that same-sex anything is an abomination to God, and it is a travesty that our country has fallen so far from God to accept it in any way, shape or form. I consider my marriage to be the second-most wonderful, blessed miracle God has given to me, topped only by Salvation.

So, while I agree with the answer given by Miss California, I don't need her to be my spokesperson in favor of traditional marriage.

3 comments:

  1. Does it show you how out-of-touch I am right now, that I've never seen her answer? I've heard a little bit about this, but not much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Miss California's answer: “Well, I think it’s great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised and that’s how I think it should be between a man and a woman. Thank you very much.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think most people know about the first part of her answer, which I disagree with, as well. And her answer was far from smooth.

    ReplyDelete